Just thought you would all like to read a few of my favorite lines from "Guernsey Literature and Potato Peel Pie Society"...
"Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true."
"Do you remember that afternoon in Leeds when we speculated on the possible reasons why Markham V. Reynolds, Junior, was obliged to remain a man of mystery? It's very disappointing, but we were completely wrong. He's not married. He's certainly not bashful. He doesn't have a disfiguring scar that causes him to shun daylight. He doesn't seem to be a werewolf (no fur on his knuckles, anyway)."
"The response was so vociferous Isola Pribby, our Sergeant-at-Arms, was forced to bang her hammer for order (I admit that Isola needs little encouragement to bang her hammer)."
"I do not have a pleasing appearance. My nose is big and was broken when I fell off the hen-house roof. One eyeball skitters up to the top, and my hair is wild and will not stay tamped down. I am tall and built of big bones."
"What a blight that woman is. Do you happen to know why? I lean toward a malignant fairy at her christening."
"Maybe I am a complete idiot. I know of three women who are mad for him--he'll be snapped up in a trice, and I'll spend my declining years in a grimy bed-sit, with my teeth falling out one by one."
"Elizabeth broke out of our line fast--so fast. She grabbed the rod from Binta's hand and turned it upon her, hitting her over and over. Guards came running and two of them struck Elizabeth to the ground with their rifles. They threw her into a truck and took her again to the punishment bunker."
"A sunny nature? A light heart? I have never been so insulted. Light-hearted is a short step from witless in my book. A cackling buffoon--that's what I am to Dawsey."
"If that is not enough, there's a sub-title: Phrenology: the Science of Interpreting Bumps on the Head."
"You too can learn to read Head Bumps! Stun your friends, confound your enemies with Indisputable knowledge of their human faculties or lack of them."
Well, I think that is enough. I hope that I have given you a small snippet of the delight that awaits you in reading this novel. Just a quick note: it is set right after WWII on the Guerney Island. It tells of the German occupation of that island during the war and events that happened that forever shaped the lives of the people who lived there. It is heart-wrenching at times and yet the overall tone is so happy and positive.
When he found out how much I enjoyed this book, my thoughtful husband went to Barnes and Noble and ordered me my very own copy. What a guy!!
1 comment:
I love this! I totally believe it the first quote too; books definitely find people.
Post a Comment