Thursday, April 28, 2011

Eat it and Weep

The other day I had an urge to try a new recipe.

I had some salmon in my freezer outside that was begging to be used up.

I found a Cod Cake recipe in my Woman's Day magazine and thought I might try it.

However, I am partial to a Spicy Chicken Cake recipe in my mom's ward cookbook.

So I combined the two.

Here is the recipe I came up with:

Salmon Cakes

1 pound salmon, ground in food processor
1/4 cup chives, snipped in small pieces
1 whole egg and the white of another egg
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 pieces of bread, ground in food processor to make crumbs

Preheat skillet on medium heat on the stovetop. Spray with Olive Oil cooking spray.

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly. Put bread crumbs into a wide bowl. Scoop out approximately 1/3 cup of mixture and flatten in hands. Press flattened cake into bread crumbs, carefully lift out, turn, and press other side into bread crumbs. Lay onto hot skillet and brown on both sides, 3 -4 minutes per side.

This is what they looked like:


Serve with tartar sauce:

4 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. dill pickle relish
2 tsp. mustard
1 tsp. lemon juice

Mix together well. Serve with salmon cakes.

I have never had a better salmon, crab or chicken cake in my life.

Try it! It might just bring a tear to your eye.

Serve it with some broccoli and Pioneer Woman's scalloped potatoes (1/2 batch), and your family will sing praises!

2 comments:

The Tomlinsons said...

Yumm-mmy! I will have to try that one!

kalie said...

Yum Yum Yum! I cannot wait to try!