Friday, June 18, 2010

More Fun with the Casselman's

Our first full day of the cruise was a fun day at sea.

I love fun days at sea.

You can do whatever you want. Eat whenever you want. Sleep whenever you want. Sunbathe whenever you want. Go down the waterslide whenever you want. Exercise if you want.

Sigh.

It was also formal night at the dining room. We all dressed up in our Sunday best and went to the dining room.

Prime rib was on the menu. Lobster tail and jumbo shrimp was there also. It's difficult to decide what to eat when there are so many good choices.

We snapped a photo of the kids while waiting for our food.


We were seated in the family section. This is a picture of the view from our dining table.

If only the colors really showed how lovely it was.


The next day we got up early because we were coming to Grand Cayman.

The Caymans are made up of three islands. We visited the largest island which is approximately 22 miles long and 8 miles wide. On this tiny piece of land there are over 500 banks.

It is quite flat, quite tropical and quite lovely.

It is also very expensive to live there.

Grand Cayman has a horseshoe shaped bay that has a sandbar where you can go and swim with stingrays and snorkel among the coral.

We decided to do a shore excursion with the kids so they could hang out with the stingrays.

We got on this little boat which took us out to the sandbar.


This was one time when I wish that I had a waterproof camera. I left my camera on the boat so it wouldn't get damaged. Consequently I don't have very many pictures of this event.

Our guides gave us squid to feed the stingrays. You would hold the squid in your hand and stretch your arm toward the stingray. Their mouth is underneath and they would grab the squid right out of your hand.

It felt like a little suction cup slurping the squid away from you.

Then our guide explained that you got seven years good luck if you kissed a sting ray. I never kissed it but Alyssa did.

As you stood in the water, stingrays of all sizes would swim past you, some of them brushing by your legs.

I cannot describe how amazing this was.


After being with the stingrays for about an hour we got back on our boat and were taken to some coral where we went snorkeling.

There wasn't a lot of coral where they took us but I found a little spot that had some coral and fish everywhere.

I couldn't believe the fish I saw...blue and yellow, black and yellow stripes, brown with polka dots, pink, all blue and so many many others.

It is like being in another world when you put your face in the water.

I saw a stingray that had buried itself in the sand at the bottom of the ocean. After a few minutes it started to rise up and slowly shake the sand off its body and swim away.

Marvelous!

Court loved this experience so much. On our boat ride back to the bus he did this...


What an fantastic day this was.

3 comments:

kalie said...

The shore excursion sounds amazing! I'm so glad you guys got to do that. Is Courtney making an homage to the sea gods or something? He's so funny! (And yay! I am the first to comment on this post!)

Material Mary said...

Next time I think I will be a mouse in your pocket. Sounds like so much fun!! Hope to see you on Thursday, I look forward to seeing everyone!!
Mary

Stacey said...

What an awesome day you guys had! I'll have to add snorkeling and swimming with stingrays to my list of things to do.
(Did Alyssa really kiss the stingray? Wow! She is adventurous!)