Thursday, June 24, 2010

Isla Roatan, Honduras

We sailed into Honduras on Wednesday and found a shipwreck awaiting us. The water was gorgeous, the day was warm and adventure was around the corner.


When we got off the ship I saw this:


The Carnival Triumph was the ship that we sailed on for our second cruise with our friends.

Ahh. Fond memories.

We took a boat ride to a private island beach resort to spend the day.

You could snorkel off the end of a pier, eat lunch, play in the water, sit in the beach chairs, shop or go to the animal refuge.

Brock decided to try some swimming in an open ocean.

He and the coral got into a little fight and I think the coral won. Brock was pretty scratched up on his arm and foot.

One of the guides out in the reef filled a water bottle with ocean water and poured in on Brock's scratches and put Neosporin all over it.

It looked much nastier than it really was because it kept oozing.


Brock and Alyssa were hanging out on the pier while Boyd, Jenny and Court were out snorkeling.


Boyd and Jenny hooked up with a guide to take them snorkeling on the edge of the reef. There on the edge was tons of coral, beautiful schools of fish and the drop off to the ocean. They both really enjoyed this tour.

The rest of the kids had struggles trying to find a good spot and lost interest.

I personally like snorkeling a little bit but I am not crazy about it. Once a trip is enough for me.

I decided that I would rather go eat lunch.

This was our restaurant:


We had baked chicken, fried fish (the best I have ever eaten), rice and beans and fried bananas. It was an authentic Honduran delicious meal.

After Boyd returned from snorkeling and eating lunch, we went to the wild animal refuge.

There was an employee holding a baby crocodile. He was blind and therefore was the pet.

Normally their eyes are green with slits of black for pupils. This crocodile's eyes were all black. Therefore the blindness.


Boyd and I standing in the water.


Alyssa and Jenny asked me to take some pictures of them. Here are a couple:



This is what the beach looked like. There were tons of trees right on the beachfront that you could sit underneath.


On the trip back we rode a boat around the corner of this island. It was quite beautiful.


We were the last group to leave the island and our boat captain was in a hurry to get us back to the ship.

He put the throttle as far forward as it would go and we were flying through the water.

There were large swells in the ocean and we hit them going super fast.

Water was spraying everywhere and we were holding on for dear life.

It was better than any ride I have ever been on, even in Disneyland.

It was worth every penny just for that boat ride.


Can I go again? Can I? Can I?

Just one more boat ride? Pleeeeeaaaaase?

1 comment:

Amylee said...

Gorgeous!!! I never pictures Honduras like that. I need to get out and see the world.
Corcodiles are scary.