I hadn't really thought about it.
But it sounded fun.
So she and I put plans together and decided to have a fun family celebration for Cinco de Mayo. We also celebrated Kevin getting a Master's degree from the U.
Boyd got so excited about our party.
He called me from the local craft store Saturday morning.
I asked him what he was doing.
"Buying red, white and green balloons, a red tablecloth and a pinata."
I was quite surprised and looked forward to the decorations he had picked out.
I decided to make some chicken enchiladas in memory of the enchiladas we had in Mexico, refried beans from Jarachos, homemade pico de gallo, guacamole and sparkling cider.
Kalie made yummy queso and dessert popsicles.
A closeup of the chicken enchiladas.
We got a rotisserie chicken from Sam's and shredded it up. Then we browned corn tortillas in a little oil, spread some chicken on one half, added a little cheese and folded them in half.
We covered them in green enchilada sauce and a sprinkle of cheese and heated them in the microwave.
Once we added a dollop of sour cream we were ready to eat!
Pioneer Woman's Pico de Gallo.
It was delicious!
The table covered with our sumptious fare.
After we stuffed ourselves silly we had our pinata party.
We filled the pirate ship pinata with starburst and skittle fun packs.
Isaac got the first turn.
He just didn't understand that he was supposed to hit the ship...especially when he has been taught by his parents not to hit things.
Kalie went next.
She took this pinata business very serious.
She closed her eyes and turned in circles and proceeded to try to hit the pinata.
It was highly entertaining.
Boyd took a turn next.
He came out swinging like a major league batter.
He destroyed the TOP of the pirate ship but the candy remained in tact.
Can you see the top of the ship flying away?
It was my turn next.
I bragged, "I know exactly where I am after I turn in circles because I can feel the sun hitting my face."
I turned in 3 circles, took a mighty swing and hit...the glider.
It was a little stunning.
I was smarter after that and felt for the ship before I started swinging away.
Then Kevin took a turn.
He was very methodical about the whole thing.
He felt for the ship with his bat and swung.
He hit that ship perfectly.
One more swing from Kevin and the results were amazing!
There was an explosion of color!
Candy went everywhere...in the garden, in the lawn, underneath the swing set.
I only wish I had snapped a picture at the right time.
Needless to say, our Cinco de Mayo celebration was a roaring success!
We finished off our day with a walk around the block with Isaac holding grandpa's hand.
So sweet and so fulfilling.
1 comment:
SO. MUCH. FUN. I bet Kalie loves that first picture of her ;). I might get to see you on Friday!
Post a Comment