As Court put it, "grandpa is really crankin' out the years."
He and my mom were born the same year so this year we have celebrated two 75th birthdays.
It is quite an accomplishment, I'd say.
Boyd's mom asked us to put together a party for his dad.
As you may or may not be aware, there are a lot of Casselman's.
I don't have room in my home for that many people.
We found a really nice pavilion in a really nice park and decided to have our party there.
I had been watching the weather, religiously, in order to find out whether or not we would have sunshine on the day of the party.
All week the forecast for Saturday was sunny and in the 70's.
At last we would have some sun!!!
That morning, everything was set. Food assignments were made, the birthday cake was picked up, tablecloths and plates were ready to go. Even the day was bright, warm and sunny.
Lovely!
I drove to the park with all the party gear in tow and got ready to set up the party. Everyone that had come jumped in and started helping spread tablecloths and cutting rolls.
After the first tablecloth was spread on the table, a slight wind rippled the edges.
No! Not wind! I hate wind!
The wind started to blow harder, sending the tablecloths scurrying in every direction but on the tables.
And then the rain started. Light, sprinkly rain. And it got really cool outside.
By the time Boyd's parents came, we were huddled under the pavilion, starving and ready to eat.
Prayers were said, lines were formed, food was served and then devoured.
And then we had cake.
Boyd's dad loved his cake.
He loved the blue icing that turned your teeth and tongue blue.
When I asked him what he wanted to do with the rest, mom said, "Oh, don't send it with us, we don't have enough people to eat it."
Dad said, "I want my cake."
Being the birthday boy, we gave him the cake. He deserves it after all.
All of the siblings went in on this gift for him... the party and a kindle.
Despite the unpredictability of the weather, the party turned out really nice.
Happy birthday, Dad!!
No comments:
Post a Comment