Sunday, June 28, 2009

2009 Quilting Retreat

We had our annual Barrett family Quilting Retreat in Mendon this past Thursday. I don't know exactly how many years we have been doing these retreats but I think it's been at least 8 times. Our very first retreat was in the Amalga City Building where we learned how to do 4 patch pinwheels. This year our retreat was held in the Mendon Station which has so much history behind it. It used to be an old train station.It was remodeled into an old-timey General Store when I was young which my parent's co-owned. It has also been used as a preschool and a restaurant. Now it is remodeled again into a lovely building that houses reunions, receptions and of course, the Quilting retreat.
We all worked on varying projects this year. Some of us did the assigned table runner and others worked on things that needed to get done. We had an amazing potluck lunch complete with pulled pork, meatballs and various salads. I could have just eaten the entire day, the food was so good. I helped Matt get his lunch. He told me exactly what he wanted by a series of head nods or shakes. We ended up with 2 blueberries, a little dump-it salad, a meatball, 2 pretzels and absolutely NO GREEN SALAD!!! He was adamant about that!
It was such a fun day and good to see all of the family. We had a blast together.

My sister, Mary, who organizes and plans the entire retreat. She does an amazing job.

My mom, working on the binding for her table runner.

Our cousin Eileen came with her sister-in-law, Flo and her daughter-in-law, Karen.

My Aunt Denice flew in from California.

Matt, sound asleep on the hard floor.

Heather with our newly adopted sister, Darla. She is a wonderful addition to our family.

My sister, Heather, ironing a skirt she was making for Sydney.

My sister, Carolyn and Aunt Patricia in front of the goodie exchange table.

My prize from the goodie exchange made by Carolyn.

Heather's daughter, Maria, helped babysit Kit so Rosemarie could sew.

Heather's daughter, Sydney, made this entire chef set at a 4-H sewing camp this summer.

Rosemarie made her table runner out of Christmas fabrics she already had at home. It was lovely.

I finished the top of my table runner. Now I need to add the backing and quilt it up.

Matt, carrying his sack of salt water taffy. I could eat him up.

4 comments:

kalie said...

Wow, I am so jealous that I had better not dwell too long on the fact that I wasn't there! :( Love Mary and Heather's hair... and who is this "newly adopted sister?" Do I have an aunt I don't know about?? You look GREAT, BTW.

Material Mary said...

Didn't we have a fun time? It was so worth getting together. Your runner looks amazing. You did it. You've almost completed yet another project!!
Mary

The Tomlinsons said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun. I never did the quilting thing, but wish I had learned. It looks like so much fun to build something like that.

RP said...

That looks like so much fun! Will you teach me someday???

Amy