Saturday, June 20, 2009

I left my heart (part of it) in Moab

Boyd's YSA ward went on their summer activity this past week. They drove to Moab on Wednesday and stayed through Saturday. It was one of the most delightful experiences I have ever had camping (which is saying alot since I don't really enjoy the whole camping thing). There was a total of 86 people who came to this activity....one of the largest groups our stake has ever had. The food was fabulous, the activities were memorable but the best part was getting to know the young adults. I spent alot of time with them and got to know them so much better. They were cheerful, well-behaved and willing to do anything we asked of them. It was a little different going to camp with 18-30 year-old people than going to Young Women camp. There is a level of maturity that these people have that made a trip with them completely enjoyable. I am putting this trip into two separate posts because I have so many pictures.

Our tiny backpacking tent. Their was only room for 2 sleeping bags and 2 suitcases at the bottom. We were cozy but quite comfortable.

Alyssa and Jenny moved right in to their tent and set up housekeeping for 4 days. They had their own tent and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.


We went river rafting on the Colorado River on Wednesday. It was a cool, cloudy day but still nice. We got a light rain in the morning but during lunch the clouds went away and the sky was gorgeous. We were pretty excited for sun during the second half of the day.

The young adults boarding the bus to get to the river. It took 2 busses and 3 vanloads to get all of us there.

Preparing the rafts plus 8 kayaks for 86 people. Canyon Voyages did a great job with organizing and being ready for such a large group.

One of the few pictures of Brock I have because he wasn't with us the whole trip.

Excited and a little nervous.

The people on our raft, plus Boyd and I and our guide, Mallory.



We stopped about 1:30 for lunch and boy, had we ever worked up an appetite. The rafting company had the greatest lunch for us. We could make our own sandwiches, eat all the watermelon we could stuff in our mouths and then, of course, cookies galore for dessert.

Starting round 2 after lunch.

Boyd bailing water out of our raft.

The second day of camping......I still looked somewhat presentable. Riding a raft all day is somewhat like riding a horse all day. I have the most incredible case of saddle soreness.

A typical Court photo........he loved the river.

Alyssa and Jenny after lunch. They just sat in the middle and enjoyed the ride while everyone else rowed.

Brock manning the oar.

These pictures were the last of the sunny landscape. Shortly after we got going, the sun went behind some wicked looking clouds and then the rain began. The first rainstorm wasn't too long and we just got a little wet. Then, as we were getting ready to go through White's Rapids (a class 2-3 rapid) the rain began again in earnest. It was cold, wet and rainy.
When we hit the rapids we were already wet so the water splashing all over our raft wasn't too shocking. However, one of the rafts in our group hit the rapids wrong and the raft totally lifted straight up in the air and then went over backwards. Everyone in the raft was thrown out. Some of the kids were OK with it and some were NOT. Fortunately no one got hurt and we told them that they had a great story to tell when they got home.
Unbeknownst to me, the bishop was in a kayak and when HE hit the rapids, the force threw him out of the kayak and he was underwater for a long time. He told us later that just as he was on his last bit of air, he bobbed up to the surface. I was so grateful that he made it out of the rapids in relatively good condition.

Our guide, Mallory. She was so fun.

The beautiful Colorado River.

4 comments:

kalie said...

Hi Mom! The trip looks so fun. I love the picture of Brock's glasses tied together with twine.... so typical. *sigh* Glad you guys had a great time and I can't wait to talk to you about it. I have done that same river rafting trip and it is awesome, though when we went the river was totally calm. However, when we were in Moab with Kevin's family, we rented a kayak and Kristen and Dustin caught some serious air. We have great pictures of it.

RP said...

That looks like so much fun! We went on a 4 day rafting trip when I was in YW as a youth and I loved it so much! And I'm so glad you had a good camping experience too! That always helps -- I've heard good things about those backpacking tents -- I want to get Ry one someday!

Material Mary said...

What a fun trip to go to Moab. I hear it is just beautiful there. Can't wait to see you on Thursday--the quilt retreat!! We missed you at the sisters lunch on this past Thursday. It was really fun.
Mary

bevany said...

I just want to say I'm kind of jealous of Alyssa and Jenny's friendship. I never really had a friend like that growing up. It looks so fun to share a tent like that and have a fun week together. I love the pictures of them.