Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Dilemma of the Prom Dress

Alyssa was invited to her high school prom.

Just so you know, the REAL work begins after the invitation.

What am I going to wear?

How about the perfect shoes?

Who is going to do my hair...my makeup?

And is it possible to find a modest dress for a decent price?

We agonized for weeks over Alyssa's dress.

She wanted a hi-low. That is a dress that is short in the front and long in the back.

The trick is to find a hi-low that is long enough in the front, and modest enough on top.

We found the best website for prom dresses. They are based out of New York but get their dresses from China.

They will make jackets to match the dress out of the exact same fabric and alter the dress to your measurements and desires.

So we ordered a dress for Alyssa with a jacket to match and asked them to make it longer in the front.

Here is what is looked like.

The jacket was a little grandma looking.

It went to Alyssa's waist in the back, the sleeves were almost to her elbows AND it was very restrictive. She couldn't move much.

I realized that if I didn't do something about the jacket she wouldn't wear it.

That was NOT acceptable to me.


So I did some serious surgery. I took the entire jacket apart except for the shoulder and neck seams.

I made it 5 inches shorter in the front and back.

I made the sleeves much shorter as well.

It looked better but still needed something.

BEADS!!

I went to JoAnn and looked for sequins and seed beads, then I called my sister, Rose.

She has done beading before and knew just how and what to do.

I went up to her home one sunny morning and spent 3 hours beading on one side of the jacket while Rose spent 3 hours on the other side of the jacket.

Here is the result!


I still can't believe it turned out the way that it did.

It was beautiful!

I put some wide straps on the dress so that it would stay up.

Then I put a little cleavage guard on the sweetheart neckline.

It was a little too sweet.

The jacket was still restrictive but not as much as before.

The dress was ready for prom and I wasn't going to be there. Boyd and I flew to Cancun the same day as prom.

Fortunately for me, Kalie and Kevin came out and helped Alyssa get ready for prom.

Thank goodness!!

I will post some prom pictures next.

1 comment:

Amylee said...

You, Marciea, are a MIRACLE WORKER. It turned out absolutely stunning.