Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cancun Mexico

Boyd and left for Cancun, Mexico on Saturday, April 14th at 5:15 a.m.

 We went to bed about 1:30 a.m. and got up at 4:00.

Needless to say, we started out our trip tired.

We flew to Phoenix and then on to Cancun, arriving at Cancun at 4:00 in the afternoon.

We flew on US Airways.

Just so you know, they only serve a drink on the flight. No peanuts. No pretzels. No cookies. Nothing.

By the time we got to our hotel, we were ready to eat the paint off the walls.

Our hunger was quickly assuaged when we got to our room and looked out of our balcony.

This was the view from our room.


We were staying in an all-inclusive resort.

This means that everything is included in your visit: your food (you could choose from one of thirteen restaurants), your drinks, swimming, walking on the beach, room service, jacuzzi's in every room, etc.

Our first item of business after settling into our room was eating.

We were invited to eat with a few agents at an Italian restaurant called La Trattoria.

I looked at the menu and started ordering.

I ordered a salad, cannelloni and salmon.

Basically, I ate an entire day's worth of food in one sitting. And it felt so good.

The next day we were up before daybreak to visit Chichen Itza...see previous post.

On Monday, Beacon Financial had organized a visit to a blind and deaf school in downtown Cancun. This school taught children from the age of 2 to 17 years old.

A bus took all 40 or so of us to the school.

This bus driver was an expert. He navigated that enormous bus through tiny, skinny streets dodging cars and buildings all at the same time.

He deserved a $1000 tip...just not from me.

All of the agents were asked to purchase sunglasses and walking sticks for the blind kids so that we could hand them out.

The kids held out their arms and we filled them with walking sticks and sunglasses.

I don't think they knew what to think. They didn't know we were coming and they were marched out in front of us and ordered to hold out their arms for us to fill with gifts and then hold up the sign from their school. They handled themselves quite well, considering they couldn't see us.

Here, Jorge, Stephanie, Pablo and Karen are holding the sign while trying to manage all the sticks and glasses.

They were good sports and our entire group was so happy to be able to give some help to them.


The next day we visited Tulum and the Grand Cenote, which is an underground river.

I have to admit that I was really nervous to jump into the river and start swimming around. I had my life jacket ready and still didn't want to venture into the water.

One of the ladies with us was interested in borrowing my life jacket and checking out the water. When she got out, she told me to get in...that it was so refreshing and worth the time.

She gave me courage. So I did!

I have now been swimming in a cave, full of stalactites and small fish.

And I am proud of myself.

The next two pictures show what it looked like.
 

We were unable to go snorkeling on this same Tulum tour because a member of our group got lost. 

We waited 1 1/2 hours for him on the bus while a couple of designated people went and searched for him. 

We never found him.

But, rest assured, he is not still in Mexico. He caught a bus ride back to the hotel.

But I have to admit, many members of group were extremely annoyed with him.

Because we weren't able to go snorkeling on Tuesday, Boyd arranged to go on Thursday. 

We booked a tour to a city called Porto Morales and went on a very small boat out into a very large reef.

It was a rather blustery day, so the swells in the reef were quite noticeable. 

Basically, you just had to not think about the fact that you were going up and down and up and down.

We saw some of the best snorkeling ever...schools and schools of fish, squid, a puffer fish, a small sea turtle, coral everywhere and the brightest colors of fish you have ever seen.

It is a whole different world down there under the water.

I did something on this snorkeling trip I have never done before.

Usually on the boats they have a ladder to let you down gently into the water.

Not on this boat.

You had to jump off the side to get in. 

I jumped! And my head went under the water! And I lived! Yay!!

After we returned we did a bit of shopping.

I found some Mexican pottery that was gorgeous. I wanted to buy all of it.

But it was too expensive. We just bought a few pieces.

This is a view from the restaurant we had to walk through to get to the boat.






Can you see our tiny boat?

Fortunately it did its job well and got us out and back safely.











The cool thing about staying at the Palace resorts is that all Palace resorts and lobbies are included in the price.

This is the lobby at the Nizuc.

The picture just doesn't do it justice. There were vines hanging everywhere! 

It was awe-inspiring!


The Nizuc lobby had a Mexican restaurant inside that was to die for delicious. We ate there twice.

I can't remember eating better Mexican food.

Their fresh salsa and guacamole was out of this world!

Plus, you could order as many Pina Coladas that you could manage to drink.

Non-alcoholic, of course.

In addition to that, they had a three piece band that walked around and serenaded you while you ate.

What a festive atmosphere!

I want to remember this restaurant always.


This was such a fun, yet busy trip.

We walked on the beach for only about 1/2 hour.

We ate fresh tuna that had been alive about 4 hours before, in sashimi and grilled form.

We didn't even go into the pools once.

We watched the movie "Up" on an outdoor screen with the breeze blowing through our hair.

We went shopping for jewelry and found some great pieces at a flea Market in downtown Cancun.

We ate so much food, we were sick.

 And now we are home.

 All day Saturday as I walked around my beautiful home, I couldn't help but smile.

Yes, the trip was fun and exciting, but there is nothing better than to be home in dear old K-town.

No comments: