She has worked on her pieces for months.
They were excrutiatingly difficult. I wouldn't be able to play them in my wildest and fondest dreams.
She played Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp Minor and Bach's Prelude and Fugue in C minor.
Finally, the day came for the competition and Alyssa was pretty nervous.
She went into judging room and played her pieces. She did pretty darn good considering the pressure on her.
We couldn't go in and listen so I have no video. Just be assured it was amazing.
Here is Alyssa with her piano teacher.
She performed at the Weber State Browning Arts building. This is Alyssa in front of the building.
Since I am a somewhat lame mother when it comes to classical music, I have to admit my weakness and shortcoming when it comes to Alyssa's piano playing.
She started playing Bach's prelude and I found it so unpleasant to my ears that I asked Alyssa to tell her teacher that I couldn't take listening to it while she learned this piece.
Her teacher very kindly told Alyssa to tell me to take a walk. This piece was very important to learn to play if you are pursuing a musical career.
I have kept my mouth shut since.
Oh. And now she plays the piece beautifully.
And. No. She didn't win. The people who won played pieces that had to be at least 30 pages long and lasted 10-15 minutes.
5 comments:
Your family is so talented! I'm glad Alyssa told you to take a walk :). I wonder when my kids are going to tell me that someday.
I am SO very impressed! Way to go Alyssa. I'm a struggling pianist myself (not struggling for money, but struggling because I play like junk), so I'm more than impressed.
Okay, junk is a strong word. I'm a little better than junk. Garbage maybe?
Way to go, Alyssa! Now that I'm an adult, I wish I would have taken piano as a kid. I guess you're never to old to learn, right?
By the way, tell Alyssa I think she is beautiful! I remember when she came into Beehives. She sure is growing up!
I think it is awesome that she even did a competition. I was never up to snuff with things like that.
Mary
Yay for her! So awesome she's that great on the piano. I tried to learn when I was 18 and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I don't see how people can do that. Reading 2 clefs at the same time and playing with 2 hands...and your feet?
Post a Comment