I have been gone for 3 weekends in a row.
While all 3 weekends were delightful beyond words, I am tired of being gone and I am ready to be home.
I am going to post the main events of the summer in order of the way they happened, starting with this:
The fourth of July.
I love Independence Day. I love parades and barbeques and fireworks.
However, I live with a family that really doesn't enjoy the whole parade thing. SAD.
Kalie, on the other hand, loves parades like I do. We made plans and decided that we would go to the K-town parade together...and those who wanted to come...could.
To my utter amazement, Boyd, at the last minute, said that he would like to come with us.
This is us at the parade.
Kalie and Kevin sat right next to us. We found a shady spot near the end of the parade route. Some kind friends let us sit in the shade of their trees.
It's hard to believe it today, but we were actually a little chilly sitting where we were.
Since we were at the end of the parade route, the entries in the parade came by slowly and with long pauses between each entry.
When the parade stopped having floats, bands and candy thrown to us, and began having advertisements of businesses, we decided it was time to beat the crowd and leave.
After all, we had this waiting for us at home...
A barbeque!
I have a hard time getting enough of hamburgers and hot dogs in the summer.
This is what I was most excited about. I had seen the tutorial on how to make this on KSL Studio 5. Couldn't wait to cut it and try it out.
Surprise! It's a flag cake inside!
Of course it was a hit and everyone thought I was a genius for my talents and skills. Cough. Cough.
That evening before we left for fireworks, we roasted Starburst and marshmallows.
This time we used briquettes instead of firewood.
And yes, we all smelled a lot better when we were finished.
After the roasting was done, we decided to go find a spot at the high school to watch the fireworks.
We found a grassy little knoll right out in front of the school. At first we had it all to ourselves.
Then one by one, other people came and crowded alongside us on our grassy little knoll.
Some of them were good neighbors to have and others were not. Some were a little noisy and obnoxious.
Alyssa and I laid down by each other with a blanket underneath us and one on top. It was the perfect way to view fireworks.
I took a bunch of pictures and most of them didn't look good.
This one, though, turned out really cool.
Happy birthday, America!!
4 comments:
Sounds fabulous! Glad you guys are doing well! And that cake looks incredible.
Well well well--where has our summer gone? The get together is Saturday and I think it will be fun to get together. Kalie will be having that baby really soon....are you ready to be a Grandma?
Mary
That fireworks picture is awesome! Will you please send it to me? And you are a master at cake making--no denying it. I wish someone had told me how bad my hair looked that day. *sigh* Oh well.
See you tomorrow!
That cake looks so amazing! Even if it isn't your brain child you deserve huge praise that you made it and that it looked so cute! How perfect for July.
Also, it was so fun to see you and Kalie on Saturday. I'm holding my baby right now and thinking of your family. What an exciting and wonderful day!
Post a Comment