I have been bottling quarts for me, pints for my mother (who has been sick all week) and I even did a batch of peach pie filling for both of us.
I personally only like fresh peaches; bottled peaches are not my favorite but I do them for my children and husband. I have discovered, however, that a wonderful way to eat bottled peaches is when they are baked into a cobbler.
Cobbler recipe:
2 quarts of peaches, drain juice out of one bottle
1 yellow or white cake mix
6 Tbsp butter
Pour the peaches into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the peaches. Cut butter into slices and put slices all over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Heaven!
6 comments:
I think I will always think of you when I am bottling peaches! I just finished bottling with my Mom, and we had a good time doing it together. I, too, love cobbler!
Wow--they are beautiful. I have been canning for the last 3 weeks. Whew--a new leaf for Mary. I did 2 1/2 bushels of peaches, Heather let me have her beans and I got 70+ pints and I've even got some elderberry juice that I'm going to make some syrup from (from Rose and Dave). (Curtis and I juiced the berries). I also have made jam, speaking of which Lisa at the mermaid party let us taste her watermelon jelly. Shall I just say delicious. We will have to give this one a whirl. I'm sure the kids would love it on pancakes.
Mary
Those are so beautiful! Oh how I missed canning this year and can't wait for next year! Love peaches so much and that's a family fav of ours -- cobbler!!! Yummy!
MMMM! I want some! I miss you.
We ALWAYS ate bottled peaches when we were growing up...courtesy of my grandma. I prefer fresh, but they're still good. Do you teach piano lessons? I was just reading your daughers blog and it made me wonder if you did. And, I got a part time job so that's where I was when Mike took the kids hiking. Gymboree in the mall. I think it's going to be fun.
These look beautiful! Your cobbler recipe is similar to mine...I melt my butter in the bottom of the pan and then layer the peaches, then drop the cake mix on top(cake mix mixed with one cup of the syrup from the peaches + cinnamon and nutmeg)...yummy, too! but I'll definately be trying the reverse effect.
Post a Comment